How we're voting (so far)
We've got our ballot out and are ready to start blackening circles. Here's how we're planning to vote. In each case, we'll also give our degree of enthusiasm (DE) -- 0 is low, 10 is high -- and our degree of confidence that our choice will prevail (DC).
- President: Obama - DE 7, DC 6. He's quite a sellout, but much better than the alternative.
- Congress (3rd): Writing in our cat - DE 8, DC 0. Can we start thinking about getting a normal person in there when Lance Bowtie packs it in?
- Secretary of State: Buehler - DE 8, DC 6. Brown's bungled too much.
- Treasurer: Wheeler - DE 8, DC 10. Except for the expense account crap, he's been a solid performer.
- State Senator (22nd): Writing in our other cat - DE 7, DC 0. Wish we could get some turnover in the legislature.
- State Rep. (43rd): Frederick - DE 1, DC 10. Nutsy Smith's good buddy has not exhibited a mind of his own.
- Labor Commissioner: Avakian - DE 0, DC 8. The guy gags us, but his opponent kinda scares us.
- Supreme Court: Baldwin - DE 10, DC 7. The court needs to have a real trial judge in the mix.
- Court of Appeals: Egan - DE 8, DC 6. His opponent seems too buddy-buddy with the Usual Suspects in Portland.
- Mayor: Writing in Lavonne Griffin-Valade - DE 10, DC 1. Do not give Hales a mandate. Write in anybody.
- East Mult, Co. Soil & Water: Writing in Jefferson Smith for all three positions - DE 0, DC 0. Why do we have this board? What the heck does it do?
- Measure 77 (disaster): No - DE 2, DC 0. If this is no big deal, why do it?
- Measure 78 (editing constitution): No - DE 2, DC 2. For this, we're cluttering up the ballot?
- Measure 79 (forbids real estate transfer tax): No - DE 10, DC 8. There ought to be a real estate transfer tax.
- Measure 80 (legalize pot): No - DE 2, DC 7. Is anybody having difficulty finding pot these days? Let's not start up an OLCC for wacky weed and spend 20 years fighting the federal government. (And don't ask us to tell the stories about us OD'ing on pot in our youth. It can be done.)
- Measure 81 (fishing): No - DE 9, DC 9. Dumb, unfair.
- Measure 82 (casino): No - DE 9, DC 10. Are they gone yet?
- Measure 83 (more casino): No - DE 9, DC 10. "The Grange." Too funny.
- Measure 84 (estate tax repeal): No - DE 10, DC 8. This badly worded measure would gut the income tax, too.
- Measure 85 (dump corporate kicker): Yes - DE 6, DC 8. Both the kickers are dumb. And they'll never kick again in our lifetimes, anyway.
- Measure 26-143 (library taxing district): Yes - DE 6, DC 9. Let's stop with the yo-yo funding of the library. Maybe we can eventually get it away from Farquaad Cogen and the Sisters.
- Measure 26-144 (school construction pork bond): No - DE 10, DC 3. LEED Platinum study halls? The construction boys will make out, but the schools will continue to blow. Ask us for money for teachers.
- Measure 26-145 (police and fire pension changes): Yes - DE 2, DC 8. Whatever. Drop in the bucket.
- Measure 26-146 (head tax): No - DE 10, DC 8. Classic Sam Rand. Send those fops a farewell message.
Remember, your job as a voter is not to vote for the candidate or side that you think is going to win. Vote for what you think is right!
UPDATE, 10/23, 6:29 p.m.: Our other two picks are here.