East side Sunday Parkways may have to pay "volunteers"
Sunday Parkways -- the program in which the City of Portland turns streets over to bicyclists on selected summer Sundays -- has expanded to five Sundays this year, but the pool of volunteers to stand at the key intersections and keep an eye on things has not grown so quickly. The city recently hired a "volunteer coordination" firm, Good Sport Promotions, to marshal the troops for the events, and it's put out an urgent call for the East Portland bikefest scheduled for the 18th. A reader copied us on that message:
Hi Everyone,I wonder what Good Sport is getting paid, how much the pot of money for the "volunteers" is going to be, and whether it will be coming out of sewer bills.
We're a little over a week away from the Sunday Parkways in East Portland. Unfortunately, volunteer recruitment has been a bit challenging. We all want this event to succeed, and volunteers are the #1 way to make this happen. Intersection Superheroes are the life-blood of the event and while we need to fill 130 shifts, we have only found the volunteers to take care of 41.
Without volunteers, this is simply not going to work and the community will take notice. We can't let this happen. Fortunately, we still have time and you all have connections.
You all helped bring this event to your neighborhood and you are the biggest supporters of this event, so I'm calling on you to help us get the word out for a couple different opportunities.
1. Send out the word to volunteers.
* Groups you know
* Listserves, websites, facebook pages, twitter - everything you have in
* Churches, schools, social groups.
* Non-profits and small enterprises - they can be both volunteers as exhibit on the street. A great way to market their ideas and services!
* Friends and family
* Call in personal favors - Janis is bringing her mother. It's that serious right now.
2. Plan F - we will compensate groups of volunteers - volunteer for fundraising.
* We don't want to do this, but this may be a last resort. We're looking for teams and groups of people who would be willing to work for SP for fundraising. The requirement is that these groups need to be adults (no school groups or teams).
* Sports teams are ideal, as they usually are looking for quick fundraising and would be great for the job - Rugby teams, Dragonboat teams, etc.
* Churches may be good too. We have an afternoon shift from 11:45-3:30pm that may be perfect for folks just getting out of church.
* If you know of any groups, please let me know. 5-55 people is a great size. You can either contact them with the info or make an email introduction and I'll take it from there.
* I would love to have groups who live near the SP event and will give them preferential selection of volunteer location However, I may have to reach out to the Greater Portland area to fill those spots.
Thanks for all the help. I would love to hear from you with any thoughts, questions or suggestions.
Have a great week,
Good Sport Promotion | 503.473.3547
Coordinated Events | GoodSportPromotion.com